Friday, October 15, 2010

Jamaican Lentil Soup (we love bulk food)

Okay, I know that the last post was about lentils too, but I was racking my brain trying to think of the most delicious thing I had cooked in recent memory and I was stuck on this. I found the recipe online and oh man, so many yums.

Here it is, with the substitutions I made:

Jamaican Lentil Stew

1 medium onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch piece ginger, grated
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 (13 ounce) can coconut milk
4 cups water + a bouillon cube if you have one
4 ounces split red lentils
1 small sweet potato, diced
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1/2-1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste (optional)
black pepper, to taste


Saute the onion until it's soft, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute or so. Stir in the spices and keep on cookin until you can smell them. Add everything else, bring to a boil, and cook until it's really thick and the sweet potatoes are nearly falling apart. Red lentils collapse after being cooked for about 40 minutes, so just have patience and all of a sudden you'll go from soupy lentils to thick creamy lentil chowder. YUM! I served it with roasted broccoli and spoon bread and nearly fell over from all the praise I heaped on myself.

3 comments:

  1. mmmmm wow! but what is spooon bread???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoonbread is an extra yummy traditional southern accompaniment to ham, like a mix between corn bread and pudding. I used this recipe, from Fannie Farmer.

    1 cup cornmeal
    2 cups water
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 eggs, well beaten
    1 cup milk or buttermilk

    Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Butter a 1.5 quart casserole. Bring the water to a boil, stir in cornmeal and salt, and cook, stirring, for a minute. Mix in the eggs and milk, pour in the casserole, and bake about 40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

    ALSO, you can eat leftovers with maple syrup for breakfast...

    ReplyDelete